GCC 3.1 - even slower compilation and relocation

Rainer Endres endres at physos.org
Sat May 18 12:32:52 BST 2002

Hi

On Samstag, 18. Mai 2002 12:42, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 17 May 2002 17:40, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> > Hi,
> > output of "time make" with gcc 2.95.3:
> >
> > real    34m56.576s
> > user    33m16.010s
> > sys     1m12.750s
> >
> > and with gcc 3.1:
> >
> > real    69m10.886s
> > user    65m58.620s
> > sys     1m49.540s
>
> And you compiled gcc from CVS? --disable-checking is your friend. I doubt
> your gcc 2.95.3 had internal checking activated, but it is default when you
> compile gcc from CVS.

quoted from the original mail:

<quote>
So compilation with gcc 3.1 takes twice! as much time as with 2.95.3. Someone
mentioned that I should have compiled gcc 3.1 with --disable-checking to
reduce some runtime checking overhead, but it didn't give much improvement:

real    66m59.415s
user    63m15.600s
sys     1m45.950s
</quote>