GCC 3.1 - even slower compilation and relocation

Rolf Magnus ramagnus at t-online.de
Sat May 18 01:45:52 BST 2002

On Friday 17 May 2002 22:28, Piotr Szymanski wrote:

> This is total bogus! Although compilation takes much time, kdebase compiled
> with gcc-3.1 on my Duron 800 as long as with 2.95

I compared compilation times between gcc 2.95 and some gcc3 HEAD versions
several times, and now I used the 3.1 release version to find out if my
results are valid for it, too. Each time, compilation times with 3.1/HEAD
were about twice as long as with 2.95, and I don't see any numbers at all
from you. Still you call my numbers "total bogus", and I have to say I don't
believe you. I did only try qt-copy right now, but I don't see why this
should be different for kdebase. But if your compilation times are really
equal for 2.95 and 3.1, then I'd like to find out why they aren't for me. Did
you do anything special?