kdesktop's new device links

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at bigfoot.com
Sat May 11 11:11:30 BST 2002

Hi

On Friday 10 May 2002 14:38, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> > > kcontrol/look & feel/desktop/display devices
> >
> > No such thing in my kcontrol.

Please update

> I have that here. The problem with this is that it makes it *very* cryptic
> because the first thing I got confused about was that I can choose for each
> icon, mounted and unmounted, and that makes no sense. A user needs *one*
> option per device/partition to display them on the desktop. Another thing
> is the question if this makes any sense at all to fixate the displaying of
> those icons to the desktop as it limits the functionality by restricting
> the location where to put those links. Together with the
>

> mycomputer:/
>
> ioslave, a windows-like behavoir for devices can be emulated (which would
> indeed help the users a *LOT*),

mycomputer:/ is outdated. It's called devices:/ now. ;)

> but things like system /dev/shmfs shouldn't
> appear an an default naming of partitions in the windows-style makes a lot
> more sense to the average user than /dev/xyz mounted /foo.

I'll add a configuration with an option defaulting to "normal user readably"
names than, which could be changed with a texteditor to that advanced mode.
Although Floppy A: is even too much windoizm for me.

> /dev/fd0, /dev/fd1  Floppy A:  Floppy B:
> CD-rom's and DVD's can be detected by their fs type
> Hard disc partitions by their device name, fs and partition number
> Zip discs always have a fixed /dev/sda4 device number.

 That's partly done already for the pseudo mimetypes at the moment. Zip discs
are detected my mountpoint containing zip at the moment tough

> So together with collecting the info for the device names used in other
> systems like BSD an automatism that works better than the current
> implementation would be possible. Joseph ? :)

Just send a list of names/regexp/... to me. Does bsd have a file, which gets
updated on each mount/unmount like mtab ? I don't need it for parsing but for
a dirwatch it would be interesting

> Regards,
>
> Ralf
>
> > And there are many other problems with those icons, anyways. E.g. at
> > least half of the contextual menu items are useless: "add to bookmarks"?;
> > "copy"?; "copy to" (while not yet mounted)?; and especially "edit file
> > type".

With edit file type you can change the icon for all devices of a given type.
With copy you can copy a whole floppy to your harddrive

> Format and Eject would be better, indeed :)

Sounds like a good addition, although format is a littlebit risky, isn't it ?

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger