App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Klas Kalass klas.kalass at gmx.de
Tue May 7 16:49:37 BST 2002

Am Dienstag, 7. Mai 2002 11:46 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2002 00:55, Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> > On Monday 06 May 2002 22:47, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > I support that. I am not opposed to the idea of releasing KDE 3.1 as
> > > just kdelibs and kdebase and all the other packages could be released
> > > independently (ether as one big packages or on an app by app basis) and
> > > possibly on different schedules.
> >
> > Gnome is more or less following this principle (e.g. a Gnome "release" is
> > actually a snapshot of all apps at a given point). It's a freakin' mess.
> > The big problem is that there's no incentive for maintainers to stabilise
> > their apps at some common point. Plus there's the fact that packaging
> > requirements go through the roof (each app has to be packaged
> > seperately).
>
> I don't like the idea either. We should open another module, where we add
> activly maintained applications, that can be released seperatly, but that
> do not are active part of the KDE release. But we should definitly keep
> e.g. korganizer and kmail in freeze together with kdebase.

Ok,
I think we had a lot of very good arguments against a pure kdelibs/kdebase
release (see esp. posts from Thomas Diehl, David Faure and Tim Jansen). This
entire thread started because of application duplication and how much work it
adds for non-coders. Because this comes up very often we need to find some
kind of solution, I think.

I like the idea of opening another module that is explicitely not part of the
KDE release and would like to propose "kdeprime". To ensure it is not
kdenonbeta2 there should be some rules:
- Every app that is not maintained will be removed
- Every app should be in a release state when a new KDE is released (to give
an incentive for non-coders to work on the apps although they are not part of
the official thing).
- For an application to be moved to this module the same applies as for all
other modules (except nonbeta), but the programs here do not follow a common
theme (like multimedia, education etc.) and may duplicate functionality.

- Applications that cannot be agreed upon to be in one of the other modules
(for whatever reason) will be moved here, or out of KDE. No further
discussion ;-)

All applications in this module will be released individually, but with as
much automation as possible.

So, to summarize:
KDE release will be regarded as a KDE Distribution with all the polishing
necessary (including application selection) and including all modules minus
kdenonbeta and kdeprime. kdeprime will be the module for all release-ready
apps that are not part of the official KDE and are released separately, but
take advantage of the KDE development process.

If this idea is accepted as a solution I will take care of this module and
work on the automation. Help and suggestions will of course be very wellcome
:-)

Greetings,
Klas