Things needed (was: Re: Do we really need Korn ?)

Kurt Granroth granroth at kde.org
Tue May 7 18:07:02 BST 2002

On Sunday 28 April 2002 01:31 pm, Cristian Tibirna wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 April 2002 15:44, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> > So, specific issues with KBiff (that I think are shared by Korn):
> > KBiff does it's own implementation of the various mail protocols rather
> > than using IO slaves.
>
> Korn exists since 1997, KBiff since around 1998. IOSlaves were invented
> around 2000. Neither the main Korn author nor the few people that touched
> the code since, didn't seem to get the tim to plug in the new
> technologies. I don't know about Kurt and KBiff.

There was some talk in '99 or '00 or so about combining Korn and KBiff.
Neither Taj nor I really felt any pressing NEED to do so, though.  We did
share some code (KBiff got KOrn's mbox handling and KOrn got KBiff's IMAP)
but that was the extent of it.  Rik (if my memory holds true) started to
combine the two programs but again, there really wasn't any pressing need
so it never happened.

Every now and then, I think about converting kbiff to use ioslaves (which,
as you say, were several years in the future when the original code was
written).  I even have a alpha-alpha-alpha version on my computer that uses
the imap ioslave.. but time is always an issue.
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth at kde.org
http://www.granroth.org  | kurt at granroth.org