App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Stanislav Visnovsky visnovsky at nenya.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Tue May 7 09:38:12 BST 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> I support that. I am not opposed to the idea of releasing KDE 3.1 as just
> kdelibs and kdebase and all the other packages could be released
> independently (ether as one big packages or on an app by app basis) and
> possibly on different schedules. That would make individual releases smaller
> and easier to oversee and having different schedules would mean that the
> workload for packagers and translators gets more evenly spread over time. *)
>
> This already happens with KOffice and I would like to see that extended to
> other packages. Rob also mentioned to use kdenonbeta for releasing individual
> applications, I am not sure if kdenonbeta is really the best place for that
> since that tends to be a bit of a dumping ground, but maybe we can make a
> seperate module "kdemisc" that is intended for stable applications which are
> released indidually. To counter one of the kdenonbeta problems that module
> should be limited to, say, 10 apps. So we would get kdemisc-1, kdemisc-2,
> etc...

The KOffice separate schedule makes a lot of confusion for translators.
The biggest problem is that kde-i18n module contains translation for
KOffice as well as rest of the KDE. This makes it hard to follow the
branches and to package translation correctly. We have already released
KDE translation packages including KOffice files a couple of times. Or
KOffice release used a different branch and a lot of translators didn't
upate the correct branch (typically KOffice from HEAD when KDE was heading
towards x.x.1 release).

BTW, KDevelop is another app with its own schedule/policy and its own
problems for translators. If you want different schedule for different
apps, you need to split kde-i18n module (the GNOME way).

> Cheers,
> Waldo
>
> *) Correct me if I see this wrong, but it appears to me that translators have
> to work their ass off to get things translated in time for a release while at
> times like this they can either do nothing or waste time on stuff that
> doesn't make it into a release or that gets changed 6 times before it gets
> released.

I'm working on documentation translation, since it takes a lot of time and
it can be reused quite well.

Best regards

Stanislav
KDE Slovak translator