App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Tue May 7 08:16:29 BST 2002

Am Sonntag, 5. Mai 2002 13:26 schrieb Richard Dale:

> And I'm sure a bank would love to have the SuSE or Red Hat corporate
> identity all over the desktop, because it makes them feel comfortable.
> They will only move away move from Microsoft if they feel 'more
> comfortable'.

Sure. So be it.

> A home user would have a completely different view of what was important
> (email, web browsing and CD burning perhaps). And what I would call 'KDE
> enthusiasts' like Thomas want something different again. So I agree with
> Waldo that KDE should stay pretty agnostic about what people choose to do
> with it, and that 'core apps' doesn't mean a lot.

For me, the problem with this approach is: It means that every single KDE
developer, translator, documenter, artist etc. is supposed to create his or
her own distro. There is no real common goal any more, no "our KDE"
anywhere.

I don't want to conjure that "community thing" every 5 minutes. It surely
has its downsides and won't solve everything. But I'm pretty sure that
atomizing our work like in that "everybody makes his own distro" approach
could be the end of KDE as it was meant to be for quite a lot of people.
The "historic posting" by Matthias Ettrich would become just that --
history. And I think I'm talking about people here who have been actually
creating a lot of KDE so far.

Regards,

Thomas

--