App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Tue May 7 06:51:32 BST 2002

> Do we really want KDE to be an app base containing 5 programs
> taking care of similar things. Is it really so hard to do? Look, we
> do not have different mail clients for pop3,apop3, imap, etc, but
> we have kmail.

I wouldn't use KMail as an example of how avoiding application
duplication is good thing.

There was a time during the Qt/KDE 2 porting when KMail was badly
broken. It was requested by several people that KMail be removed from
cvs. The reasoning behind this request being that several new mail
clients/groupware apps were being written and it wasn't necessary to
have another mail client that duplicated functionality being provided
by other apps.

If the requests to avoid application duplication were granted then
KMail wouldn't be in cvs today.

Don Sanders.