App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Klas Kalass klas.kalass at gmx.de
Mon May 6 16:28:01 BST 2002

Am Sonntag, 5. Mai 2002 02:03 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Saturday 04 May 2002 02:21 pm, Andreas Pour wrote:
> > Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > >
> > > That's of course your opinion.
> >
> > Your point?
>
> That you forgot to add "IMHO".
>
> > > I for example think that KDE should also be
> > > targeted at sophisticated users.
> >
> > You snipped the part about sophisticated users being able to find what
> > they want w/out it being in the "core" packages.  Do you disagree with
> > that?
>
> I don't believe in the whole notion of "core" packages. IMO the only core
> that we have is kdelibs (for apps/developers) and kdebase (basic runtime
> environment) and everything else is "apps" in my book.

The Announcements for the releases (like KDE 3.0) always mention programs of
the other packages. So it looks to the reader as if all of this was "the
KDE". If we do not want that we should release all of those packages
seperately and only kdelibs/kdebase as the parts making up a KDE release. In
that case we can say "those are just programs put together in one place for
convenience of the developers" and not mention any programs that do not
belong to libs/base in the Release Announcement. But if we leave it as it is
I think that we should take all packages as serious as kdelibs/kdebase and
make sure it is "round" and "well put together". It looks like a "KDE
Distribution" now and we should treat it like this or change what we
communicate as being KDE to the outside.

Cheers,
Klas