App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Mon May 6 13:06:40 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:

> Some times I get the impression that the only reason some applications
> are put into CVS are for the convenience of developers that grew too
> lazy to download a tarball.

Wow.  If this is your impression you are absolutely right.  CVS indeed is
a tool for developers.  If you think, that it's wrong to use CVS for what
it was designed for, you are severely misguided.

It seems to me, that some if not most people on this thread think that the
content of CVS is, what is the KDE distro.  This is not so.  Historically
it partly was, but never was it designed thus.  It's just for the
convenience of developers.

It is obvious that some people do want such a "core" KDE distribution
besides kdelibs/base.  And that it most probably should not contain too
many duplicates.  This is a fine thing.  A thing I even would support in
theory (though I think the decision process would be hard). A thing which
yet has to be implemented.  A thing which looks like a list of apps to me.
A thing which is not CVS.

Ciao,
Michael.