Proposal on the CD-Writer problem

Niels Reedijk n.reedijk at planet.nl
Sat May 4 21:36:24 BST 2002

Dear Alexander, Joseph, Alex, Sebastian and Kai,

As can be concluded from the many mails on kde-core-devel and kde-i18n-doc,
the problem of having four CD-writer programs in the KDE CVS has provoked
many negative reactions, which I consider sound. As one of the developers of
KreateCD, I consider it is the job of the maintainers of the 'CD toasters' to
first come forward with a solution of our own instead of having a whole argument
on the mailinglists referred to earlier.

That is also the reason that this message is CC'ed to both the mailinglists, to let
you other kde contributers know that we are working on it at the moment.

The current situation is the following: there are three cd-writer apps in the
KDE CVS, which is too many for three reasons, namely that the translators need
to translate 2000+ strings for programs that do essentially the same, as well
as documenters working on perhaps futile docs, and of course that the goal of
the KDE project is to bundle software that looks and feels the same, for every
task, and not ten programs that do essentially the same, but that are developed
by different people.

We, as maintainers, should come forward and show that we are willing to work
on this problem. Therefore I propose to have an IRC meeting for all the
maintainers to talk about how _we_ feel about the current situation and how we
would like to solve it, for our sake and for KDE's sake.

As I don't know what timezone's you are in, I propose to have the meeting on
on of these dates:
1) Thursday the 9th of May around 19:00 GMT
2) Saturday the 11th of May around 19:00 GMT
3) Sunday the 12th of May around 19:00 GMT
Please respond and state if your diary allows the dates, if not, propose your
own. I will follow up soon with an agenda and with the date it has become.
Of course other people interested should mail me too, the meeting is open.
(Though the date really depends on the maintainers of the apps).

I foresee a prosperous future of CD writing in KDE,

Yours sincerely
Niels Sascha Reedijk
<nielx at kde.nl>