App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at bigfoot.com
Sat May 4 20:44:10 BST 2002

Hi

> Joseph (and I do not mean to state his opinion for him) mostly goes
> toward creating common library sort of layer over recording tools and a
> way to open each other's saved project files but still to keep GUI parts
> separated.

Yes, one idea I have for some time is writing a layer, which handles all the
ouput of the cd recording tools, which is primary there to be read by users,
not other applications and all the needed configuration parameters. The
applications shouldn't need to care for most of the time eg if the backend is
cdrdao or cdrecord. One of the positive effect would be that the cd
recorder/scsi configuration could be moved to a central place (eg the control
center) and each developer of a cd recording GUI doesn't need to reinvent the
wheel of communication with the tools needed for recording and doesn't need
to depend on different versions and he gets a clean qt/kde interface library.

Another thing, which I think is important would be
interchangeabilty/interoperability. If the user has a CD Project file, he
should be able to use it with his/her favourite  tool, independent from the
tool it had been created. I know the following comparison is a littlebit
weak, but I think with cd recording tools it's like eg with M$Wordpad and
M$Word (or fill in something else). There is always place for a small tool
and a huge application.

As long as two different applications have a smiliar purpose, but target
different user groups, I think it is not that bad to keep both  (4 is a
littlebit much though), that should not prevent the developers to exchange
ideas/code/strings to translate/...... .

> The guy from K3B, on the other hand, always throws stuff like "mine is
> the only usable..." etc, so I'm not sure how much cooperation could be
> done with attitude like that.

I haven't talked to the K3B author yet

> I'm ready for some sort of merge.
>

> Alex (cdbakeoven developer).