App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Sat May 4 17:57:26 BST 2002

Am Samstag, 4. Mai 2002 18:20 schrieb Neil Stevens:

> No.. I don't think KDE owes me anything.  If I wanted the app, I'd
> translate it.  I wouldn't go cry and demand it be removed from cvs
> becuase it "looks bad."

Sure, and you would do that for 4 identical apps? Or would you just don't
care because you personally do not want the other 3 apps? and because you
don't care for the "looks" anyway? From what you say, I suspect the latter.

Therefore, this starts to sound like an apples versus oranges discussion.
You seem to talk about apps you (or any translator) personally "wants"
while we are talking about "duplicates", "triplicates", the overall
impression, usability of a fully localized KDE and so on.

If you are not interested in these overall aspects: fine. But please do not
expect translation teams to view this the same. Being translators, they
know enough English to use original versions anyway. They don't do this
kind of work because they "want app" for themselves but in order to
contribute to KDE and to make it usable as a whole to the people in their
countries.

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/