App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Sat May 4 14:21:23 BST 2002

Am Samstag, 4. Mai 2002 14:24 schrieb Thomas Zander:

> Bottom line is that we are now practicing all the things in CVS what most
> companies are complaining about in OSS. We are duplicating efforts; we
> are ignorning each others programs and we are hurting the translators and
> everyone in the KDE effort because we don't want to hurt developers that
> might mean something to us.
>
> While the setting seems nobel enough I for one think this is the start of
> the end for KDE.
>
> I want to propose that this is a one time experiment and that one cdrw
> project and one project only stays in KDE CVS after the 3.1 release.

While I agree to everything you say I have to note that it would be a big
help for translators if we wouldn't wait with the decision until after the
3.1 release. Waiting that long would mean 50+ language teams translating
4 apps "just in case" while there will be only one in the end. And I'm not
just talking those 2000 GUI strings here but also a considerable amount of
documentation (+ translation), proof reading and so on.

Therefore (although I may just be dreaming) I have to add: It would be
great if this decision / project merging could happen before the message
freeze for 3.1.

Regards,

Thomas

--