kxkb speedups for stable branch

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Mon Jun 24 10:25:21 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > Yes, it's always a static library. Its not that large, so we just link
> > it in.
>
>  But kxkb is a shared .so library (kdeinit module - hmm, and I'd personally
> prefer if it was a kicker applet). Some systems aren't probably going to like
> linking that with static .a library (unless libxkbfile.a is PIC, which I
> highly doubt). I don't know which specific OSes are those, Linux can handle
> that,

No, it can't.  Linux on i386 can handle that, which means that the program
works, but the pages are non-shared.  On many other platforms (e.g.
x86-64) this either silently breaks, or ld gives an error.

> Would there be any serious problem with creating a small helper app linking
> against libxkbfile.a ?

I would prefer if the XFree people would finally abstain from creating
non-PIC static libs only.  That has been repeatedly a problem in the past.

Ciao,
Michael.