kdelibs and the GPL

Rolf Magnus ramagnus at t-online.de
Thu Jun 20 12:13:44 BST 2002

On Thursday 20 June 2002 10:43, Andreas Pour wrote:

> A program which links with kdelibs does not, as a general matter, link
> with the plugins, and so, it would seem, the plugin license has no
> bearing on the program.  However, if the program was written such that
> it does not work without the plugin, or specifically relies on it, then
> all bets are off.

According to the GPL FAQ, this is not true.
See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF
IMHO, this doesn't make sense, but I'm no lawyer, so I don't know if something
like this can be enforced. I mean, if I write a program, I don't know what
plug-ins will be used with it later, and if I write a plug-in, I don't know
which programs will use it later. So who is responsible for not using a GPL
plugin with a non-free program?