kdelibs and the GPL

Roberto H. Alsina ralsina at kde.org
Wed Jun 19 17:42:53 BST 2002

On Wed, Jun 19 2002 at 11:42:03am +0200, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 June 2002 09:53, Martin Konold wrote:
>
> > > Library GPL is the old term. Now LGPL means Lesser GPL. So please revert
> > > those changes.
> >
> > We intentionaly chose LGPL in order to attract also developers of
> > proprietary applications in order to gain applications which integrate well
> > in KDE. IMHO "Lesser" is more a political statement than a technical term.
>
> It's a fact that the license was officially renamed to "Lesser" GPL, and so
> there cannot be any discussion about how we name it. It's not about technical
> vs. political, but wrong vs. correct.

Of course you can. If you license specifically under LGPL v2, you can not
rename it to "lesser", because that is not the LGPL v2, but the LGPL v2.1.

In fact, renaming it to lesser would be breaking the license.

`9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina at kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
I would like to believe in God [..]. But I just believe in Billy Wilder.