kdelibs and the GPL

Dominique Devriese fritmebufstek at pandora.be
Tue Jun 18 23:57:35 BST 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:08:24AM +0200, Dominique Devriese wrote:
> Hi,
[...]
> Recently, i noticed that some files in kdelibs were under the GPL,
> whereas they shouldn't be.
[...]

Hi again,

Sorry to start again about this issue, but it still is _far from
solved_...

After my previous mail, i've gotten quite some response, and it seems
that now, most of the files that i reported have been fixed.
However, i've looked at the situation again, and I've rerun the
scripts to avoid the following things i forgot earlier:

1 i didn't search for files like *.cc, *.cxx etc
2 i only checked for stuff that was GPL, but i've looked through some
  files, and there seem to be other license problems too:

Note: i've tried to filter out stupid files like autogenerated stuff,
compatibility headers, and code meant for testing out in the files
i've listed below, i will prolly have missed some, sorry for that...

a) files that used the terms "Lesser GPL" instead of "Library GPL".  I
think I've fixed all of these myself.  I think this is legal since
it's just an error, and the author of course meant the same
license...

b) stupid bugs:
the file kdecore/kmdcodec.h references to both the GPL and the LGPL,
and it isn't clear what license the file is under...
I mailed Rik Hemsley privately about this...
./kdecore/kmdcodec.cpp: unknown
./kdecore/kmdcodec.h: unknown

c) files with no license statements: this violates the KDE license
policy too...
(http://developer.kde.org/documentation/policy/license.html, IIRC):
There are quite a lot of these, maybe someone could
write a script to provide them with a standard LGPL header ( is there
still room in kdesdk/scripts ? :), I'd like that too for my own
application (kdenonbeta/kig), which still lacks license headers
./dcop/dcopc.h: no_copyright
./dcop/kdatastream.h: no_copyright
./interfaces/kregexpeditor/kregexpeditorinterface.h: no_copyright
./interfaces/kscript/scriptmanager.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/clipboarddcopinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/clipboarddcopinterface.h: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/clipboardinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/codecompletioninterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/editdcopinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/editdcopinterface.h: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/editinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/searchdcopinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/searchdcopinterface.h: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/searchinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/selectiondcopinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/selectiondcopinterface.h: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/selectioninterface.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/editorchooser.cpp: no_copyright
./interfaces/ktexteditor/editorchooser.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resource.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resource.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcefile.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcefile.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcesql.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcesql.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resourceconfigdlg.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resourceconfigdlg.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resourceconfigwidget.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resourceconfigwidget.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcefactory.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcefactory.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcefileconfigimpl.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcefileconfigimpl.h: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcesqlconfigimpl.cpp: no_copyright
./kabc/resourcesqlconfigimpl.h: no_copyright
./kate/part/katehledit_attrib_skel.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kaccel.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kaccelprivate.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kckey.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kckey.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kextendedsocket.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kglobalaccel.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kglobalaccel_emb.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kglobalaccel_x11.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kglobalaccel_x11.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kkeyserver_x11.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kkeyserver_x11.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kmdcodec_compat.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/kpixmapprovider.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kshortcutlist.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kstaticdeleter.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kstddirs.h: no_copyright
./kdecore/svgicons/ksvgtopng.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kde-config.cpp: no_copyright
./kdecore/kde-config.cpp.in: no_copyright
./kdefx/kpixmapeffect.cpp: unknown
./kdefx/kpixmapeffect.h: unknown
./kdeprint/management/kaddprinterwizard.cpp: no_copyright
./kdeui/kactionshortcutlist.h: no_copyright
./kdeui/kcursor_private.h: no_copyright
./kdeui/kdatepik.h: no_copyright
./kdeui/kdepackages.h: no_copyright
./kdeui/kdeui-doc.h: no_copyright
./kdeui/kdualcolorbtn.h: no_copyright
./kdeui/kmainwindowiface.cpp: unknown
./kdeui/kpassivepopup.cpp: unknown
./kdeui/kpassivepopup.h: unknown
./kdeui/kshortcutdialog.cpp: no_copyright
./kdeui/kshortcutdialog.h: no_copyright
./kdeui/kurllabel.cpp: no_copyright
./kdeui/kwindowinfo.cpp: unknown
./kdeui/kwindowinfo.h: unknown
./kdoctools/kio_help.cpp: no_copyright
./kdoctools/kio_help.h: no_copyright
./kdoctools/main.cpp: no_copyright
./kdoctools/meinproc.cpp: no_copyright
./kdoctools/xml2man.cpp: no_copyright
./kdoctools/xslt.cpp: no_copyright
./kdoctools/xslt.h: no_copyright
./kdoctools/xslt_pure.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/khtml_ext.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/khtml_ext.h: no_copyright
./khtml/khtml_iface.cc: no_copyright
./khtml/java/kjavaapplet.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/java/kjavaappletcontext.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/java/kjavaappletserver.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/java/kjavaappletwidget.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/java/kjavadownloader.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/java/kjavaprocess.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/misc/htmlhashes.h: no_copyright
./khtml/misc/loader_client.h: no_copyright
./khtml/misc/shared.h: no_copyright
./khtml/rendering/break_lines.cpp: no_copyright
./khtml/rendering/break_lines.h: no_copyright
./kimgio/gif.h: no_copyright
./kio/kfile/config-kfile.h: no_copyright
./kio/kfile/kfilemetainfowidget.cpp: no_copyright
./kio/kfile/kfilemetainfowidget.h: no_copyright
./kio/kio/kdirwatch_p.h: no_copyright
./kio/kio/kfilefilter.cpp: no_copyright
./kio/kio/kfilefilter.h: no_copyright
./kio/kssl/ksslall.h: no_copyright
./kio/kssl/kssldefs.h: no_copyright
./kio/misc/ksendbugmail/main.cpp: no_copyright
./kio/misc/ksendbugmail/main.h: no_copyright
./kio/misc/ksendbugmail/smtp.cpp: no_copyright
./kio/misc/ksendbugmail/smtp.h: no_copyright
./kioslave/file/file.cc: no_copyright
./kioslave/file/file.h: no_copyright
./kparts/browserinterface.cpp: no_copyright
./kparts/browserinterface.h: no_copyright
./kparts/componentfactory.h: no_copyright
./kparts/design.h: no_copyright
./kparts/genericfactory.h: no_copyright
./kstyles/keramik/keramikrc.h: no_copyright
./kstyles/keramik/keramikimage.h: no_copyright
./kstyles/klegacy/plugin.cpp: no_copyright
./kstyles/web/plugin.cpp: no_copyright
./libkmid/mt32togm.cc: no_copyright

d) these are GPL: some of them are plugins: i don't really know what
the deal is with plugins, but it seems they are allowed to be GPL...
Anyone knows if this is ok, or not ?
Note: Not all of them are plugins, e.g. kdeui/kaccelgen.h --> fix
please !
./kate/plugins/insertfile/insertfileplugin.cpp: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kate/plugins/insertfile/insertfileplugin.h: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kstyles/keramik/pixmaploader.cpp: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kstyles/keramik/pixmaploader.h: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kio/misc/ktelnetservice.cpp: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kio/kfile/kmetaprops.cpp: GPL
./kio/kfile/kmetaprops.h: GPL
./kio/bookmarks/kbookmarknotifier.h: GPL (version 2 or later)
./khtml/domtreeview.cpp: GPL (version 2 or later)
./khtml/domtreeview.h: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kdeui/kaccelgen.h: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kate/part/katecodecompletion_arghint.cpp: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kate/part/katecodecompletion_arghint.h: GPL (version 2 or later)
./kioslave/http/kcookiejar/kcookiejar.h: unknown
./kioslave/http/kcookiejar/kcookiewin.cpp: unknown
./kioslave/http/kcookiejar/kcookiewin.h: unknown
./kioslave/http/kcookiejar/kpasswdserver.cpp: unknown
./kioslave/http/kcookiejar/kpasswdserver.h: unknown

e) weird licenses: these files generally seem to originate from
outside KDE, maybe someone should talk to the original authors...
Mostly they seem to be X11/BSD-like licenses, but they're
non-standard, and it might be better to standardise on one of the
BSD-licenses ?
( the X11-like licenses that the licensecheck script recognises are
filtered out already, since the policy (see above) allows that... It
seems best for the files below to use the same headers as those ...

./kdecore/dmalloc.cpp: unknown
./kdecore/ktypelist.h: unknown
./kdefx/kimageeffect.cpp: unknown
./kdefx/kimageeffect.h: unknown
./kinit/setproctitle.cpp: unknown
./kinit/setproctitle.h: unknown
./kio/kfile/krecentdirs.cpp: unknown
./kio/kfile/krecentdirs.h: unknown
./kio/kfile/krecentdocument.cpp: unknown
./kio/kfile/krecentdocument.h: unknown
./kio/kio/kemailsettings.cpp: unknown
./kio/kio/kemailsettings.h: unknown
./kio/kio/kshred.cpp: unknown
./kio/kio/kshred.h: unknown
./kioslave/http/kcookiejar/kcookiejar.cpp: unknown
./kioslave/http/kcookiejar/main.cpp: unknown
./kioslave/http/http_cache_cleaner.cpp: unknown
./libkscreensaver/kscreensaver_vroot.h: unknown

VoilĂ , that was it... This has cost me a considerable amount of time,
so I'd appreciate it if you ( the authors holding the copyright (!!!)
of these files ) could look into these things, and fix
them.. I'll try to follow the progress of fixing, but I currently am
getting rather sick of licenses, and would like to get some coding
done... :)

Thanks for your cooperation
domi

--