Unifying ~/Desktop

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Mon Jun 10 21:15:23 BST 2002

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 08:52:19AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > 4. The biggest problem i see with this proposal is trash handling. Nautilus
> > and konqueror handle this very differently. Konqueror creates a trash folder
> > in the desktop directory in which it stores all trash files. Nautilus creates
> > .trash files on the various file systems per users which are than integrated
> > by the trash view.
Where does it create these dirs? In the root of the filesystem(s); then how does
it handle devices where the root is read-only?  Or does it maintain a list of
trash dirs per user?  I see lots of potention flaws in this design, hope you covered
them :)
Any docs on the subject?

> > Nautilus's trash icon on the desktop is simply a .desktop
> > file that launches the trash view. Should nautilus simply not display konq's
> > trash folder on the desktop and in the file manager view of the
> > desktop folder?
>
> Yeah. I believe we may need some kind of hack here. One idea is that
> Nautilus assumes that a directory ~/Desktop/Trash is the trash link
> and treats it as such.

Be aware that in KDE you can name your trash dir anything you want (just rename
the icon, overruling the translations).
The icon is defined in the <your_trash_dir>/.directory
but the fact that we allow a different options-menu (including empty-trash) for
the trashcan exists since we register in the kdeglobals file the full-path to the
trash dir.

In other words; the hack might be more extensive then you like :(

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be