kde-common/accounts in kmail's addressbook

Don Sanders sanders at kde.org
Thu Jun 6 17:21:11 BST 2002

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 09:13, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Wednesday 05 June 2002 16:32, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Surely the dcop inteface for KMail is perfectly suited for use as
> > an interface for plugins.
>
> I disagree. The dcop interface is passive, so a plugin could only
> do something when the user takes action, e.g. pressing a plugin's
> toolbar button. There need to be events to automate things with
> plugins.

KMail could send messages to the plugin by having the plugin implement
a dcop interface of a type known to KMail. KMail could then use the
dcop interface of the plugin to send a message to plugin when an
event occurs such as, say, new mail arrives.

However if possible I would prefer to avoid, delay or miminize the
complexity of the implementation of such a  callback system. I would
like to hear of some sensible examples of genuinely useful plugins
that would require the plugins to effectively be peers of KMail.

> > plugins and external client apps. If a plugin author or whoever
> > wants the dcop interface to be extended I think it's up to them
> > to work out how it needs to be extended, and preferable provide a
> > patch implementing that interface.
>
> I would, if there was an agreement to do this at all.

Hmm, do you think it makes sense to do plugins with dcop? If so, I
don't expect there to be too much wailing and gnashing of teeth if
you want to take over maintainence of the KMail dcop interface.

Don.