KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Tue Jun 4 06:57:19 BST 2002

Am Montag, 3. Juni 2002 22:19 schrieb Nicolas Goutte:

> > > If it is like last year, KOffice will need a very recent KDE (in this
> > > case 3.1) and will not be able to run correctly on the previous version
> > > (3.0.x)
> > >
> > > It is not the case now, it is not planned so either as far as I am
> > > informed. But it was not planned either last year, but printing could
> > > only work that way.
> >
> > When I asked David if we would need to translate eg kdelibs.po from the
> > HEAD branch (because KOffice may require the latest libs) he said that he
> > did not see how kdelibs code (and, therefore, its strings) would be
> > relevant at all for KOffice 1.2.
>
> I suppose that we have misunderstood us here.
>
> Yes, as far as I remember the message, David told that a translation of
> kdelibs CVS HEAD is not necessary for KOffice. This is as long true as
> KOffice is able to run correctly with KDE 3.0.x.
>
> On the other side, the I18N teams are going to translate KDE 3.1, isn't it?

Sure. But from what you said, I was under the impression that KOffice might
_not_ be "able to run correctly with KDE 3.0.x." If it does, the whole
discussion is moot, of course.

> Well, as said before, KDE 3.1 needs to be translated too, isn't it?

At the moment, most translators are aiming at getting out KOffice first. If it
would be necessary to delay KOffice until after 3.1 it would mean either a
_very_ long message freeze for it until translators catched up with 3.1
translation or a lot of confusion as to which strings are to translate and
which are not.

From a translator's perspective, big releases like those of KDE core and
KOffice should have as much time between them as possible. Problem is that
KOffice developers (very understandably) prefer to base their work on a
recent KDE.

Regards,

Thomas

--