KDE 3.1 release schedule draft

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Sun Jun 2 23:45:49 BST 2002

Hi,

I've put a 3.1 release schedule draft online at

http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.1-release-plan.html

The feature plan (!) freeze is rather soon, but given that the document got
quite well maintained, I don't consider it to be a big problem. Although
many of the entries are already in the green and yellow section, there is
still a huge "red" TODO list. In my opinion there is not enough time to
implement them all, even if we plan KDE 3.1 for early next year, so we have
to cut it somewhere.

According to the current draft there are about 7 weeks left for implementing
the "agreed on" features on the feature plan, and another 6 weeks bugfixing
only. I suggest that this freeze period will be more strictly handled
compared to the 3.0 release, which deliberately had a rather soft policy.

I know this schedule is rather tight, but in case, we can always slip it by
for 2-3 weeks by adding another release candidate (or making the rc1 one a
"public" one with 3-4 weeks time for feedback). I decided against
"hardcoding" this already into the current draft for obvious reasons though.

Note dear translators: the i18n string freeze means changes by developers to
i18n string changes. translators are always allowed to adjust stuff or to
commit their translations. You're in no way affected by the freezes.

Please comment, complain, scream ;-)

Thanks,

Dirk