The possibility of adding a new feature

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Sat Jul 27 20:59:44 BST 2002

On Saturday 27 July 2002 05:31, Nick Betcher wrote:
> 	The only place I could probably put it would be KDM since sysadmins would
> be generally using this feature, and they wouldn't want users turning it
> off :)

Not necessarily, because KDE's new kiosk framework allows making config
settings immutable. That way you can allow it for certain groups of users, or
even specific users, and allow the user to override the value or not. All
this is then up to the sysadmin. Putting it in KDM however makes it a
strictly global option.

As for the rest: I fully agree with Rob that we should draw a line with
feature freezes and no longer create precedents by allowing 'small feature X'
or 'important feature Y' but not 'equally important feature Z' depending on
the wind direction, the time of day and the amount of bribery you do.

KDE 3.2 is your friend in that respect. You already told me you won't be
available for KDE development at that time because of college issues, but you
can prepare the patch and ask someone else to commit on behalf of you. Mail
the patch to one of the lists if you're afraid to lose it.

(Not to be harsh at you personally, but to finally start drawing a strict line
instead of making exception after exception.)

Martijn