Missing Home Button in KFD

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Jul 22 23:15:45 BST 2002

On Monday 22 July 2002 11:59 am, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On Monday 22 July 2002 12:05, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Monday 22 July 2002 10:47 am, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > So I don't care what the 'correct' definition of auto is. You may be
> > > right that it has to do with timing. I will rephrase my 'complaint' as;
> > > Changing things the user did not expect is not good.
> >
> > Instead of having multipe orthogonal options put on top of each other
> > maybe we should replace options like "enable sidebar" with "mode 1" //
> > "mode 2" // "mode 3".
>
> this could lead to an awful lot of modes. currently for optional ui pieces
> there are:
>
>  o a side bar
>  o separate dirs
>  o a preview
>  o a list view
>  o an icon view
>
> the last two are mutually exclusive, but the others can all be used
> together in any confguration. the number of modes required to cover even
> some common sense type combinations would probably be at least as may as
> our current situation. the user would then have to choose between these
> modes, instead of between individual features.

Then we have to make some tough decisions to reduce the number of modes.
(*ouch* I just enabled seperate dirs & sidebar & preview all together)

What about this:
left pane: one out of side bar / seperate dirs / preview / none
right pane: one out of simple list view / detailed view / icon view

Why do we have the sidebar at all actually? I'm not sure if I'm fully up to
date, but I have here:
*) Sidebar
*) Bookmark toolbar button
*) directory combobox.

All three provide essentially the same functionality. Do we need the sidebar?

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com