Rearranged KControl

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Jul 22 19:25:41 BST 2002

Hi, Charles,

I was not aware of this re-organisation in kcontrol. A lot probably was
necessary and also may have a very good result. I didn't look at it and
I won't comment on it -- apart from the "printing" part.

There was already at least once a debate around it. Last time it was
here:

      http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=101005147122194&w=2

Everybody involved at the time seemed to have agreed, to *not* move it
to the "peripherals" part, but rather move it to an item of its own, due
to the mission critical importance of printing in an enterprise & and
network desktop environment, and due to the really huge amount of "settings",
"administration" and "configuration" you are able to do with KDEPrint
(especially if it is based on CUPS)...

It simply is not comparable with "mouse" nor "keyboard" nor "digital
camera". We are talking about running potentially hundreds or even
thousands of printers from here...

Please, if you move it at all, make it an item of its own. If this is
not in line with the current kcontrol layout and hierarchy "policy",
leave it at the "system" branch (were it still is on my box, as well as
on the new location -- this being a CVS compiled on Saturday night...)

Thanks,
Kurt