[Controversial Patch for Bug 18180] kfind sloppy match for simple search strings

Klas Kalass Klas.Kalass at gmx.de
Fri Jul 19 15:55:07 BST 2002

> > I am not quite sure I understand: The syntax *is* command line wildcards
> plus
> > the special case that no wildcards specified is interpreted as
> > "*<searchstring>*" so that users not knowing about wildcards have an
> easier
>
> At least the example says that k?find.cpp does not match kfind.cpp but
> k?find* does match. This example contradicts your explaination.
No, the example does not say that. It says that "k?ind" does not match
"kfind.cpp" which is the current behaviour and 100% correct.
Anyway, the behaviour you quote is current behaviour and 100% correct as
well: If "k?find.cpp" matches kfind.cpp then there would be a bug, because the
semantics of "?" is "any one character", not "any one or none". Or do you
disagree about that?

Klas

http://www.gmx.net