ASF spec licensing issues

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Sat Jul 20 21:34:53 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> No matter how _you_ read it, no matter how honestly well intentioned
> you are, to me it is pretty clear that the license tries to deny
> possibility of developing an open source asf software based on their
> published spec.

Exactly.  In the past they did so with virtualdub.  It's author somewhen
removed ASF reading support on M$' request (they were not suing him, but
he feared he would be, so he stayed on the safe side).  Somehow M$ has a
funny position on a _spec_.  I mean that they don't give away software,
sure, but don't allowing people to implement a spec is absurd crap.

Ciao,
Michael.