[Controversial Patch for Bug 18180] kfind sloppy match for simple search strings

Kurt Granroth granroth at kde.org
Fri Jul 19 22:39:52 BST 2002

On Friday 19 July 2002 03:41 pm, Martin Konold wrote:

> > > At least the example says that k?find.cpp does not match kfind.cpp
> > > but k?find* does match. This example contradicts your explaination.
> >
> > No, he said that 'k?find' does not match 'kfind.cpp' (which is right).
>
> this is fine but he also said (look above!) that k?ind* does match
> 'kfind.cpp' which of course is inconsistent simply because
> anythingnonmatching* should never match.

Hmm.. well, I'm not going to lecture you on how regexps work since I know
you know all about them.  I'll just say that you are having a "oops, how
did I miss that" moment :-)

Quick hint: the ? wildcard matches any one letter.  So 'k?ind' would match
'kfind', 'kbind', and 'kmind'.  Therefore, 'k?ind*' would match any of
those with any extension (including 'kfind.cpp')
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth at kde.org
http://www.granroth.org  | kurt at granroth.org