Kuickshow's UI

Rizsanyi Zsolt rizsanyi at neobee.net
Tue Jul 16 13:37:41 BST 2002

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 12:29, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Carsten Pfeiffer
>
> > On Tuesday 16 July 2002 08:44, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > > Kuickshow's UI is miles away from being standard (KDE standard). I
> > > think kview should be the default image viewer, to avoid confusing
> > > the user.
> >
> > Can you give some specifics? I didn't even know KuickShow was the
> > default viewer, but looking at the current kview, I think it should
> > stay.
>
> Before I go on, I don't mean to say anything against kuickshow itself - it
> works perfectly. The only problem I have with it is that UI is too
> confusing for newbie users, IMHO. Actually, it's also confusing to me :)

> Right click on a picture in konqueror (file manager mode.) and choose 'open
> in new window.' That'll open it in kuickshow. Now, what does the user do if
> they want to e.g. save this image, or zoom in ?
>
> You use the context menu to save, print etc. As this is a KDE app,
> shouldn't it have a menubar, toolbar, etc ? I think context menus are
> supposed to be used to provide fast(er) access to things which you can do
> already from menus/toolbars. Certainly someone who cannot use a mouse would
> have trouble finding out how to save/print/edit.

Yes a menu, and a toolbar would be a must. It even would not kill the
philosophy of the app, because it could be done so that they could be hidden
(like in konsole, or some mm apps).
And if there is not enough space for the image because of the menus, he still
can use the fullscreen.

That way much of the funcionality from the browser part of the app could be
placed in the main part. (like starting a slideshow - I really hate to switch
to the browser part to do it).

> The 'real' kuickshow has a toolbar, but I can't get to it from this window.
> I can't get to the main kuickshow window at all, in fact.

You can do it with the space key. And it is the worst thing in kuickshow,
because it could not be changed. It is hardcoded in kuickshow, and not a
configurable shortcut definition.

Oh. And if we are here :), then I would like a feature too. An on screen
display while in fullscreen, which would show the name of the image file
shown. Of course this could be configurable, and not shown by default...

The above of course does not means, that I dont like kuickshow (I would not
bother commenting on it), but it has much to go before it would compare to
image viewer on Windows like ACDSee or IrfanView.

Regards
Zsolt