Fwd: changes in kcontrol

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Mon Jul 15 19:41:44 BST 2002

I agree on lots of these, and I ask myself when to start reporting bugs, when
is it in a shape that others can comment on it?
For example I see that the settings of the desktop (via the RMB-popup on
kdesktop) misses the configuration of the actual desktop.  Is this a stupid bug,
or a stupid choice? :)

The same Desktop KCM has been ripped apart into 5 modules; these modules
should really be part of the Look&Feel since that is what it is about.
But then you get 2 levels, which is something you don't want.

The old tabs approuch had the huge advantage that it is know to people, and what
is know can be used further then something that is unknown.  An example is the
'advanced' tab.  Anything put there is only for people who know what they are
doing.  Also a feature is that the first tab shows you most stuff you need
day to day, and the next tab shows you more complicated stuff till the last
tab that shows the stuff only experts need (which is why the advanced tab was
always at the end)
With this approuch you loose these abilities, and you only get yourself
into more mess since the ordering is dependent on sorting names now. And what
do you see; advanced starts with an 'a'...

In the end only having less options makes it easier to search through the huge
list, and the restructuring has made it worse, not better!

The konqueror kcm (the one started from konq with the list of sections, not the
stuff from the control center) has gotten rather long, and grouping has been
totally lost, I simply can't find where to enable/disable the loading of flash
animations anymore!
Are we going to move the the good-old netscape 3 way of configuring?  Using a
tree structure in the application as well?
I surely hope not!

I don't want to make people feel unconfortable;

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be