QXEmbed reparent patch

Till Krech till at snafu.de
Sun Jul 14 22:33:05 BST 2002

Hi,

I discovered a problem in QXEmbed (kdelibs/kdeui/qxembed.cpp).
QXEmbed is now also used by the java applet server and the nspluginviewer.

Problem:
http://www.shockwave.com embeds several flash movies. Although
QXEmbed::embed() is called, the movies are not always embedded but appear in
a toplevel window managed by the windowmanager.

I think that this is the same problem why applets are not always embedded when
running konqi under sawfish/gnome.

The trick is, to retry to XReparentWindow the window for up to 50 times with
slight delays (usleep(1000)) and look if it has already the required parent
with XQueryTree.

Could you please look at the attached patch, if it solves the problem or if it
is just a workaround. Some Xlib knowledge required.

regards, till

--
SuSE Linux 8.0 (i386) 2.4.18-64GB-SMP
KDE: 3.0.6 (KDE 3.1 alpha1)