Constructive feedback from Eugenia

Eric Christopherson rakko at charter.net
Fri Jul 12 20:40:38 BST 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 12:14:36PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 12 July 2002 05:40, Eric Christopherson wrote:
> > Reason? Mainly that in my case at least, I oftentimes right click on a file,
> > since I'm in the habit of doing so, but then I realize "oh, I just wanted to
> > open it the default way, not to choose some other app or action." It just
> > seems a little awkward to have to double click again after that, when I
> > could just select "Open" from the menu I opened up. Also, it seems
> > asymmetrical having "Open with" items listed in the menu, but no default
> > "Open."
>
> In fact....
> "Open in New Window" does what you want. It opens the file, and guarantees
> that a new window will be used for it.
> On the contrary, LMB click might either open a new window or embed a viewer,
> depending on your preferences for this type of file.

Actually, no; I never specified that I wanted it to be opened in a new
window. Well, you do at least seem to agree with me mostly, if you think
it'd be good to include the default app in the Open With submenu. That'd be
pretty satisfactory, but it'd still be nice to see an indication on the item
that it is in fact the default (for times when you just want to check what
would happen without actually launching).

Waldo Bastian chimed in:
> On Friday 12 July 2002 03:14 am, David Faure wrote:
> > In fact....
> > "Open in New Window" does what you want. It opens the file, and guarantees
> > that a new window will be used for it.
> > On the contrary, LMB click might either open a new window or embed a
> > viewer, depending on your preferences for this type of file.
>
> Keep in mind that we are talking about kdesktop, not konqueror.

I was talking about both. Of course, they should be consistent with each
other with the exception that "Open in new window" is redundant in kdesktop.

--
Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^