Comments on VFolder spec

George jirka at 5z.com
Wed Jul 10 20:26:35 BST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:37:44AM +0200, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
> Looking at the Debian menu system, there are a few more categories which
> may make sense:
>
> Emulators: dosemu, wine, the various gameboy/atari/whatever emulators.

Added Emulator to the proposal

> Shells: different shells inside $FAVOURITE_TERMINAL_EMULATOR. May be a bit
>         overkill if no other than bash are installed.
> Adventure: adventure games.
> Puzzles: puzzle/quiz/... games.
> Sports: real sport sim games.
> Strategy: realtime or turnbased strategy. Lincity, FreeCiv, FreeCraft, ...
>           Plenty of these around, so this definitely makes sense.
> Tetris-like: anything with blocks ;-)
> XShells: all available (installed) terminal emulators.

Added these with slightly different names

> Windowmanagers: only shown in windowmanager menus by wms that are capable of
>                 replacing themselve by another one. Less useful in a general
>                 session manager menu but this might be included (with a
>                 comment) for completeness sake, for a wm that wishes to
>                 follow this spec too.

Haven't added this one, it feels somewhat evil.  As in, isn't this a setup
issue rather then running a new app issue?

> Math: gnuplot, oleo, octave are listed as examples. No idea what they do,
>       they may fit in somewhere else.
> Hamradio: Debian has several such applications, but I'm uncertain about
>           other distributions. I also do not know how popular they are.
> Viewers: gs, gqview, eog, ... To be put in Graphics?

Added all three.  Added Viewer.  So I suppose the categories line for
something like eog would be:

Categories=Application;GNOME;Graphics;RasterGraphics;Viewer;

> For completeness, I'll also mention the others that do not seem to have an
> equivalent category, but which don't seem very useful to me personally:
>
> Tools: mentioned are xclock, xmag, xman etc.

Utility?

> Technical: "technical stuff" (whatever that may be).

???  Not sure how this should be labeled

> Text: text oriented tools that are not editors. I suppose that's more, less
>       and friends. It seems better that people just open $TERMEMULATOR.

It doesn't seem like something to be displayed in a menu and have an icon.

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education,