Comments on VFolder spec

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Wed Jul 10 18:48:29 BST 2002

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 02:12 pm, Claes Holmerson wrote:
> Last, there was mentioning here of the Debian menu system. I would like to
> point out that Debian may use something like keywords for package browsing
> (http://people.debian.org/4~BCerich/woody+1/ ). It is quite exciting that
> there now is a great opportunity to build a shared "keyword database" for
> different kind of keywords. I have been thinking of starting a Sourceforge
> project on this, btw. There should be a large, but finite set of keywords,
> for different properties of applications, and if there is consensus on
> these keywords, they could be used to query package managers, as well as
> start installed applications from menus or browse Freshmeat and the same
> time easily be translated. It is more complicated than it first may seem
> to identify different properties of programs and then find good keywords
> that are applicable to most of them. I am on vacation currently, but if
> there is interest I can share my notes on this in a few weeks.

Yes, I think it is vital in order to build meaningfull menus to have a well
defined set of keywords with an agreed upon meaning. Once in a while people
want to organize the menus differently, but the extent to which that is
possible is pretty much limited by the keywords chosen. If you add keywords
based on a 1:1 mapping of the current menu-locations, you will be pretty much
stuck with that menu-layout, even with VFolders, unless you start to manually
move individual entries around. (With <Include> / <Exclude>)

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com