VFolders isn't a standard yet

George jirka at 5z.com
Tue Jul 9 23:20:40 BST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:29:10PM +0200, Michael Matz wrote:
> > > Hmm, your namespacing seems like subdir-ing with a  s/\//-/g;
> >
> > Except that Graphics-Gimp doesn't mean it'll appear under the Graphics
> > menu.
>
> Equally to when files are placed in subdirs.  You can still have a
> different mean to place them into a menu structure, with no relation to
> the layout in subdirs.  I immediately had the same idea, as I read the
> initial messages in this thread.  It's highly unesthetic to place 300
> files in one subdir.  And it's also not needed here.  So admins can place
> files into subdirs to their liking (even including symlinks to shared
> places for larger installations, instead of 100 symlinks for each file!),
> and still have another menustructure.  These are two different things,
> menu structure and subdir structure.  Removing the latter because of
> implementing the former in a different way would be a step back.

Read the spec and look at the PATH.  Many different dirs can be used,
they just need to be put into the lookup path.

I still don't see what's ugly about a dir with 300 files, if it's a system
dir where no user ever needs to wander.  300 files is ugly in your home
directory, but not in a system directory.

George

--
George <jirka at 5z.com>
   Man will occasionally stumble over the truth,