VFolders isn't a standard yet

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Tue Jul 9 20:21:38 BST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:12:12PM +0200, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 July 2002 20:33, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > Ehh; so my
> >     Graphics/Gimp.desktop
> > becomes
> >     Graphics-Gimp.desktop
> >
> > Hmm, your namespacing seems like subdir-ing with a  s/\//-/g;
>
> Except that Graphics-Gimp doesn't mean it'll appear under the Graphics menu.
> That's the nice thing about this: the GUI menu layout, which people/environments/distributors
> tend to modify quite a lot, is unrelated to the physical filenames.

I know, and that means that it is not needed to put everything in one dir,
IMO doning so is one step to far.

I put it in graphics since its a graphics applications. But it can be put
everywhere.  Something like
  graphics/drawing\ applications/gimp.desktop
is just fine with me (as a user or a packager of my own software) but not
possible with the current proposal.

Say I want to package KPlato. The name is not quite self-explainatory. I'd
like to put it in the same dir MrProject is in. Which can be something like
  projectplanners/kplato.desktop
or even:
  projectplanners/kde-koffice-kplato.desktop

The point is that I don't care which standard is used for the naming of the
files and dirs (on disk) but the siple
put-everything-in-one-dir-and-forget-about-it idea of this proposal bugs me.

But I don't want to start repeating myself; so I'll shut up now :)

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be