VFolders isn't a standard yet

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Tue Jul 9 19:12:00 BST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 06:32:06AM -0700, George wrote:
> Huh?  99% of home users will not even know there's a single directory
> because they don't care, they only see their menus.
That is a very shortsighted way to look at users.  For your typical mom/pop
user you may be right, but the amount of users that bother to be just that
little bit more then users really do have a problem with it.

> There are other huge
> directories (/usr/bin or /usr/lib for example) that you are not trying
> to change, why?

Take a look at the KDE way of adding binairies to the system. We add a new
bin-dir with all kde-specific application.
XFree does the same thing.

SuSE adds major applications to the PATH variable instead of just symlinking
stuff in a bin dir.

Debian also opposes lage unmaintainable dirs; look at the very nice /etc dir
with lots of subdirs for the seperate pacakges.

I'm just pointing out things that I know from the top of my head, but I am
under the impression that the flat-folder idea you have is not the best solution
and I see this as the barrier point of the opposition.

Please take a step back and see how the VFolder advantages _still exist_ even
if the flat folder idea is dropped. (as I pointed out in another mail in this
thread)

Thanx.
--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com