VFolders isn't a standard yet

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Mon Jul 8 22:50:36 BST 2002

On Sun, Jul 07, 2002 at 11:32:39PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure what provoked the sudden interest in the vfolder spec,
> but let me reiterate that no, it is not a standard. It is only a
> proposal that George made.

Hi, while looking at it I see that you made an XML file that kind of
makes up the mapping between the .directory files and the pre-defined
menu names.
question;
- What happens when I make an application that does not fit in any catagories?
can I make up a new one? Or the same question, in a different context; what
happens if I use a catagory that does not exist in the target machines config
file (since its an old version)
- can the user override .directory or .desktop files?
- Will GNOME/RedHat provide the .directory files (including translations) for
the specified submenus?

Your VFolder proposal seems to require all files in 1 directory. I wonder why?
I believe that only RedHat puts all applications in one directory and most
sysadmins (I know) hate that.  The first reasons is that its a nightmare to
make up a new application name that does not clash with existing names. But
you should read;
    http://www.mosfet.org/fss.html

In fact its quite easy to re-use the current dir structures and to also use
the proposed mapping for sub-menus.
Just use all .desktop files recersively from a certain location.  This means
that the MergeDir tag specifies a basedir and all files starting with that
path will be used.

Then the sub-menu for a certain .desktop file is the path relative from the
basedir UNLESS the Categories property is set.

This setup makes it fully backwards compatible and allows a lot of breathing
room for some developers.

Example:
 /usr/share/kde/applnk/System/myApp.desktop
has no Categories tag.
It moves to:
    System
kind of structure..

 /usr/share/kde/applnk/System/otherApp.desktop
has a Categories tag; its "Settings"
This means its displayed in the sub-menu with the name specified in the
.directory file specified in the XML.

etc.
--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com