Comments on VFolder spec

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Mon Jul 8 21:18:03 BST 2002

Small nibble: Can the standard location be changed from
/usr/share/applications/?  Currently /usr/share/apps/ is used fairly
widely for app-specific data and having /usr/share/applications/ at
the same time seems a little... conflicting.  How about
/usr/share/menufiles/ or something?  (GNOME2 hasn't been widely
deployed by the important distributors yet, so I imagine there's time
to change this.)

Also, where do KDE-specific or GNOME-specific items go?  Sometimes you
want some apps to be available in one desktop but not necessarily the
other.  I mean, I imagine you don't want the GNOME Control Center and
KDE Control Center to be available in both desktops?

Glad to see the communication going.  This strikes me as an issue
other distributors such as Mandrake (with their own broken menu
system) and Debian should be participating in.  So more exposure would
be a good thing.

-N.