Usage of KNotify in programs (was: Re: Sound in KMail)

Till Krech till at snafu.de
Sun Jul 7 22:21:00 BST 2002

Hi,

On Sunday 07 July 2002 05:58, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 07 July 2002 03:04, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Solution #1:
> > Use only KNotify.
> > Advantages:
> > - It's a clean solution and uses the powerful tools provided by KDE.
> > Disadvantages:
>
> - it is (or at least should be) a standard way of providing events, much as
> there is a standard way for configuring key shortcuts and toolbars
>
> - by using it programs get improvements and bug fixes for free (such as
> kpassivepopup support)
>
> > - AFAICS KNotify doesn't support running an arbitrary command on an
> > event. (wishlist item?)
>
> this would be trivial to add ...
>
> > - Probably more than one "You have new mail" message box will be shown
> > if multiple "New Mail" events occur (e.g. when the user is away from
> > his terminal for some time). But maybe KNotify is smart enough to not
> > do this.
>
> i don't think it is right now (though i'm sure someone will correct me if
> it is =), but seeing as it runs as a process (e.g. is stateful) it should
> be able to keep track of events if they are marked by the sender as
> "unique"
>
> > - The user probably won't find the place where he can configure the "New
> > Mail" events (because almost no program uses this KDE feature). A
> > solution for this would be to make it possible to call the System
> > Notifications configuration directly from KMail.
>
> this is what KNotifyDialog is for, right?
Yes, but this is not ideal. When configuring sounds/events for kmail all the
other event producing programs are unimportant in this context. The dialog
then should only show kmail.

> a KStdAction could be added for this to make it easily accessable..
>
> i'm willing to do the work necessary to implement all the above if it is
> deemed the correct path. consistency is important and this takes knotify to
> its logical conclusion IMO.
Someone pointed me to the KDE 3.1 planned feature list
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.1-features.html
There is already a task:
"KNotifyDialog allows the user to configure the app's notifications. (Neil,
Carsten)"
Perhaps you can help them if you like.
regards, till
--