VFolder for KDE? (Re: KMenuEdit)

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Sat Jul 6 01:06:53 BST 2002

Waldo Bastian <bastian at kde.org> wrote:
> I have changed KMenuEdit a bit, I would like to get some feedback about it
> from a UI point of view. Changes most involved the deletion of items.

Does anyone know anything about this VFolder business?  Apparently
it's being pushed as a FreeDesktop.org standard, but I don't see any
KDE people involved.

The big change is putting all .desktop files in a single directory (!)
and some business with .vfolder-info files that I can't find
documented.

https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-May/000470.html
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-May/000433.html
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2002-June/000481.html

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/menuediting.html

Technical issues aside, would implementing this for KDE break the
2-year backward-comptibility rule?  I think Red Hat is intending to
deploy KDE3 with these changes...

-N.