The "E" in "KDE" (more or less was: KDE RC Authority)

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Jul 5 22:33:51 BST 2002

On Friday 05 July 2002 01:54 pm, Neil Stevens wrote:
> 1. What makes it different from nonbeta then?  Many of us have had no
> problem installing nice stable apps, nor have developers had problems
> making releases from nonbeta.
>
> CVS is a development tool, not a package browser.  Organizing things in cvs
> as a clue for a status (stability) that could change at any time, with a
> system like cvs that makes moving things around impossible without shell
> access, seems a huge waste of people's time to me.

Translators, documention writers and others would like to focus on stable
apps. Therefor it is important to have an easily recognisable status
indicator. Applications in kdenonbeta are assumed to be not ready for the
public. Applications in kde-extragear are.

It's little efforts to move an application in CVS, it will typically only
happen once or twice in the lifetime of an application that it needs to be
moved from kdenonbeta to somewhere else. That does not introduce a
significant workload on the people with CVS shell access. (And I can know,
because I am one.)

> 2. Why the -1 in the name, if this is just a pool?

If you ever try to make configure checks work in kdenonbeta you will notice
that it takes a very long time for autoconf/automake/configure to run.
Likewise our CVS server performs poorly with very large archives. The -1 is
used to keep the CVS modules in a managable size.

Cheers,
Waldo
bastian at kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian at suse.com