Resedit (Was: Proposal for KControl)j

aleXXX alexander.neundorf at gmx.net
Fri Jul 5 22:01:46 BST 2002

On Friday 05 July 2002 16:54, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > If Waldo is right and Qt 3.1 will have icon loading on demand (i.e. read
> > the icon from disk when it is rendered the first time ?) this will
> > speedup app startup noticable. A lot (like more than 50 percent or so) of
> > the time when building the xml gui is spent loading all the icons. For
> > konqy building the xml gui takes quite some time, at least more than 1
> > sec, maybe even 2 sec, saving 1 sec here would be a good thing :-)
> > (times measured on K6/200)
>
> Wondering here: What sorts of tools did you use to do the profiling? I
> tried various profilers out of curiousity and couldn't really get
> meaningful results...
>

> Thanks,
> Maksim

Very simple:

QTime t;
t.start();
//code to be measured
kdDebug()<<t.elapsed()<<" millesecs elapsed"<<endl;

I think David wrote some patch/script/something to automate this.

Another way to measure startup time is to insert exit(0); calls at various
steps in the startup process, and then see what "time your_app" gives you.

Bye
Alex