The "E" in "KDE" (more or less was: KDE RC Authority)

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Fri Jul 5 14:17:47 BST 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 02:52:36PM +0200, Harri Porten wrote:
> Solely the code in cvs.kde.org has grown so big, specialized and
> experimental that it can't be shipped as one piece anymore.

We are not shipping it in one piece. We've got kdegames, kdemultimedia,
kdenetwork, etcetera. We are shipping it *together*.

> Therefore I think the "framework" character becomes more and more
> important. Where would you draw to the line to 3rd party apps otherwise ?
> Do you count them as belonging to the Environment or not ? It would be
> stupid to exclude them IMO.

Third party apps make use of the environment and hopefully integrate, but
they are not part of it. WinZip does not belong to Windows. Heck, we have
been making the same arguments against GNOME whenever some application adds
one line of GTK+ code and is being promoted as part of GNOME.

You are either part of KDE (stick to the guidelines, follow and honour the
release cycle, integrate and not duplicate) or you are third-party. Simple.
We had no problem making that distinction when Mosfet went third-party.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap at capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much