Help wanted: Re: bugs.kde.org rejects tonight's CVS as outdated

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Jul 4 23:47:47 BST 2002

On Don, 04 Jul 2002, Dirk Mueller wrote:

> There's a code version and a release name.
> Feel free to express your opinion to the developers of RPM.

For further explanation: for RPM 3.1a1 is "later" than "3.1". so people
having 3.1 alpha 1 rpms installed would not be able to "upgrade" to the
release rpms.

Therefore you have to use a strictly ascending numbering sheme, although
3.0.6 still sounds a lot more stupid to users than "3.1 alpha 1". Thats why
we call it "3.1 alpha 1" but name it still 3.0.6.

This code release numbering sheme btw also helps KDE_VERSION #ifdef's quite
a lot as well.

Dirk