KDE RC Authority

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Thu Jul 4 22:15:54 BST 2002

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 01:54:09PM -0700, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday July 04, 2002 01:42, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 01:37:11PM -0700, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > It's been said that many KDE developers would fork KDE if an executive
> > > layer like the KDE Foundation were placed on top of KDE, making
> > > decisions about release.  So why should an unelected RC get to make
> > > decisions we woudln't trust an elected board to make?
> >
> > Did he?
> > Can you really claim that any actions our RC has done were not for the
> > betterment of KDE and the community?
>
> Yes I can.  For any one individual to make a matter of taste a policy of
> KDE, choosing one app or another, contradicts KDE's stated behaviors, and
> its history.

You are not answering my question, let me turn it around; did his actions
make the quality of KDE code or the way we talk to each other worse?
I honestly think that if nobody stept up it would have been worse.  I'd hate
to see that instead of 5 people fighting you, 30 people would fight 30 people
and no code is being created.

> > If the releases had to be done according to the way you would want it
> > would the community be better off?  Are you actually doing us a service
> > with these discussions?
>
> I think I am doing something valuable.  I'm trying to keep the decisions
> actually being made here, instead of being made by self-appointed
> individuals trying to force their tastes on everyone.

I agree that that is they way it should be done, if at all possible, but be
honest; was there any chance of reaching a decision here?  You yourself are
well known for not stepping closer to the middle ground in an argument.

Please let it go, and do what most of us here said; make sure this does not
happen again. Nobody wants to repeat mistakes.

Just make sure people work together on this. It really is that simple!

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander at planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be