kreatecd and k3b moved to kdeextragear

Thomas Diehl thd at kde.org
Thu Jul 4 08:30:50 BST 2002

Am Donnerstag, 4. Juli 2002 09:00 schrieb Neil Stevens:

> On Wednesday July 03, 2002 11:49, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> > If the CDRW authors could not bring themselves to create a common app we
> > have to find a viable procedure how to pick one of the candidates.
>
> Why?
>
> I don't see you lobbying against KEdit and KVim because we have Kate.
> I don't see you lobbying against Noatun and aKtion because we have
> Kaboodle.
>
> What is it about these CD apps that makes you want so badly to remove most
> of them?

We had a 100+ messages thread on this back in May, remember?
(http://lists.kde.org/?t=102050810200002&r=1&w=2) If this was not enough to
explain it to you I won't be able to explain it now. I'd suggest we don't
start this again.

Anyway, what we basically agreed on back then was to handle the KDE releases
as "real distributions" and avoid duplicated functionality as much as
possible. Among other things because we wanted to give translators and
documenters a real chance to create a fully localized and documented desktop
environment. This is why kdeextragear was created in the first place.
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=102084593614486&w=2)
I remember you did not agree on the CDRWs as "duplicated functionality" but I
also remember that you were pretty much alone with this view.

> Heh.. multimedia has a happy tradition of having multiple development
> threads, though.  We had four independent video efforts, we have two
> different midi players, two video players, and we had two music players
> before kaiman was absorbed.
>
> So, if you want the kde-mm way, we're already doing that. :-)

OK, maybe we should look for another group to decide on that. ;-)

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de