Resedit (Was: Proposal for KControl)j

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Wed Jul 3 18:30:37 BST 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 11:00:20PM +0200, aleXXX wrote:
> Ok, so imagine a 200 MHz CPU and you get in the range of 0.1 s.
> 0.1 s startup time more e.g. for konsole is something which shouldn't be
> ignored.
>
> Well, config file reading is an important issue in startup time of KDE apps.
> Anything which might slow it down should be handled very carefully.
> The effect which doubling the size of the config data for every app has
> should definitely be measured on a slow system before it is added to kdelibs.
>
> Probably the increased size if the config files also won't speed up the
> process of mmapping them into memory, but I don't know, I didn't measure.

how about making a binary db of the config files cached on the
basis of a dir watcher (imon hopefully) of all the config files?

waldo, is the icon server idea still on your todo list?

<thoughts>

do all apps parse all config files?, isn't there only 3/4 files
relevant for any given application?

looking at a strace shows:
   large number of stat's for finding libs
   huge amount of xft/x related font stuff
   qtrc reading
   locale stuff
   icon stuff - i still wonder why it has to parse all dirs,
                and not just give 'unknown' icons for incomplete themes

wow. is every element of a strace trace a syscall???

i start to wonder why this hasn't got a generic solution by now.
quite stupid to do all this parsing imo, but alas not much can be
done about that :(

</thoughts>

Alex