keramik kwin theme an dialog boxes

Eric Christopherson rakko at charter.net
Wed Jul 3 18:12:41 BST 2002

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 01:31:42PM +0200, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Carsten Wolff wrote:
> > I think "What's this" should be enabled by default, too. It's very useful
> > to both new and accustomed users. The efforts of all the developers, who
> > care about writing those hints will be pretty useless when keramik is
> > default, the normal user is not going to find the configuration-option but
> > especially could use the hints.
>
> Yeah, I don't think most new people will found out that they can use
> shift-f1 for that ;-) They may look in help->what's this, but most dialogs
> that have what's this help don't have menus...

I usually turn off the question mark button, so I use either context menus
or shift-f1 to figure out a lot of things. There's something wrong, though:
Hitting shift-F1 often seems to immediately pop up a "what's this"-type
balloon describing whatever is currently focused, instead of acting like the
question mark button and allowing me to select a widget I want to have
described to me. I'm not sure about current CVS, but I believe this still
happens in 3.0.2.

> On a related note: in Qt 3 you get a context menu with 'what's this?' on
> QLineEdits and QComboBoxes (and likely many other widgets, never tried),
> but this option is missing in KLineEdit/KComboBox. Could someone add them
> there? (I am talking about 3.0 branch, it might be there in HEAD already.
> If so, disregard this issue.)

The context menu ones are indisposible, IMO. I've never liked, in Windows or
any other UI, to have to go to the titlebar, click the button, and float
back down to the item I want help on. It's much simpler and takes less
movement (and coordination!) just to have a context menu in place on the
item itself. Of course, it'd be great if, for any widget that has question
mark button popup help, there existed equivalent "What's this?" help, and
vice versa; that'd satisfy people like me who love context menus, as well as
those who prefer the titlebar button.

--
Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^