Patch for selecting random K Screensavers ...

Stephen Anthony stephena at roadrunner.nf.net
Tue Dec 31 18:16:40 GMT 2002

This patch is against kdebase cvs (as of December 31), and concerns the
handling of random screensavers in KDE.  The idea was inspired by the
interface to xscreensaver.  Now, you no longer have to physically move
*.desktop screensaver entries from certain directories to disable them.
Just deselect them in the GUI, and they are no longer considered.

Basically, what it does is move the ability to select a random screensaver
away from the krandom.kss saver, and into the actual KDE screensaver core
logic (specifically, kdebase/kdesktop/lock/lockprocess.cc).

My initial reason for doing this is that I wanted to select a random
screensaver from a sublist of those available.  Previously, when the
random screensaver was selected, it picked a random saver from among
*all* savers in the system.  I wanted to have the random saver be from a
certain specified list, but configurable from the main saver dialog (and
not the krandom.kss dialog).

I've made changes to the kdebase/kcontrol/screensaver/scrnsave.cpp class
which allows one to select from the following modes:

1)  Only one screensaver (this is exactly how it works now).

2)  A random saver.  If this is selected, then the list of savers will
have checkboxes attached to them.  You select which screensavers that you
want by checking the boxes.  Then, when the saver starts (or is locked by
the user), it picks a random saver *from that list*.

Two other things that should be done are:

1)  The krandom.kss saver is no longer needed, and leaving it there could
actually confuse users.  It should be removed.

2)  The documentation will need to be updated.  There is a passage in it
concerning removing savers from the system (presumably to get around the
limitation of the current random handling) which should be updated.

I hope you will consider this patch.  If you have any questions, or if
you're not the right person I should be talking to, I'd appreciate a
response.

Thanks,
Steve Anthony